sexta-feira, 25 de setembro de 2009

Philadelphia, goodbye

I basically devoted the last week to have a last taste of american and philadelphian culture. I tasted Geno's cheesesteak, I went to a Phillies (baseball) and Flyers (hockey) game, knew Gettysburg and the Amish area in Pennsylvania. The last story I was working on didn't work out - I was writing a profile of a liberian kid here in Philadelphia, but we couldn't have enough meetings, he got out of reach and suddenely I ran out of time. Although a little disappointed, I didn't mind. I hope another reporter get this story eventually.
This last week in Philadelphia is going both smoothly and bluesy. I already miss this beautiful city and its crazy people. I walk most of the time, trying to get the last images in my mind. I photograph a lot, and probably will never get to see all the pictures. But I just don't want to forget this place easily. I'm sure I never will.
Philadelphia has a thick social and racial tension in the air and it has a lot of problems, but I'm always surprised when people complain about it. And boy, how they complain. It's hard to find someone who doesn't laugh when I say that I like this place a lot. They criticize Philadelphia every chance they can and always talk about the past, which gives me the feeling of living in a decadent city. Please note: I don't think this place is decadent; people here seems to think that. Although they have great colleges and a lot of things to do, many of them want to get out of here. Maybe the recession provoked this mood of hopelessness. Maybe is the political situation, with people realizing that Obama is just a president, not a savior. I hope it's just my impression and this city continues do grow. Because in two days I'll be leaving for good in a train (cool), but I want to come back some day and see the city as good as now.
I just have one thing to say about Philadelphia. Living here was really fun.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário