I'm typing this from my new desk in my new newsroom: Philadelphia Inquirer. That's right: I'm here.
I was just about to type "against all odds" in the end of the first graph. "I'm here, against all odds."
Well, it's kindda cool to say that I've done something against all odds. But on a second look, it is not accurate. I'm not here against all odds. The odds were all for me if you think closely. I was born middle class in a country where poverty is everywhere. Where education is not considered by the rulers an essencial right nor an essencial tool for life. Therefore, we don't have good public schools and even the private ones have problems.
Nevertheless, my parents always believed in education and hard work. They passed those beliefs to me. And, more important, they worked very hard to keep their children in private schools, where I could get this education. This background led me to enjoy books and music. It led me to pursue something more than a job: to do something that I love.
I ended up in journalism that way. I love to learn things and tell other people. I want to help people and change things. In order to do that, I managed to learn English and, by doing that, I was able to get this fellowship. I'm surviving in U.S. for almost a month now. This is happening because my mother, Angelita, and my father, Antonio, taught me how to do it. Going after your dreams, being open-minded, working hard: I learned all of those with them.
So, I'm here because many people helped me to. Ananda, my love; Alexandre, my brother; Angelita, my mother; my dad's memory; my dear friends who taughted me how to walk over this crazy world. For all of them, I'll do my best in Philadelphia.
But let's cut the sentimental crap and get busy. Welcome all!
quarta-feira, 6 de maio de 2009
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)
chorei...
ResponderExcluirPhil Collins should read this at every concert.
ResponderExcluirFinally a blog written in a language I can relate to!
ResponderExcluiryou forgot the most important: you're there only because your bandmates ALLOWED you a 6 months vacation time!
ResponderExcluir