quinta-feira, 9 de julho de 2009

New York for a week

After talking to my mentor, I decided to use this week to try to get to know some other newsrooms, for one of my main goals on this fellowship is to find out how the journalism is changing over here.
So I managed to set up two meetings in New York, using Susan contacts: I took a tour over the Forbes and Bloomberg newsrooms in Manhattan.
In this week spent in New York I'm also having a really intense experience with media; the proportion of it in this city is very different from Philadelphia. New York is much bigger, crowded and intense; the subways are always packed and so are the newstands. Some differences between newspapers you only see when you're with them in your hands. The NY Post and the NY Times, for instance, you can tell them apart also by their readers. I don't recall to have seen anyone reading the Times in the subway. But the Post is everywhere in the hand of working class people, always opened in the Michael Jackson or other celebrities stories.
Funnily enough, I've had a taste of business reporting once again at those two meetings. At the Inquirer, I'm more focused in not to have any specific beat, because I want to learn other things and think "outside the box". But those two meetings I could get were really profitable. I'm going to Wall Street now to complete my "financial week", but later on I will tell you what did I learn from the guys at Forbes and Bloomberg - a lot, in a short time.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário